Can I Still Call a Plumber During COVID-19?
Yes, you can! In the interest of public health, Plumbing is considered an essential service, however the guidelines have changed to how we must operate. These changes are to ensure we protect the health and safety of our team and the community at all times. We operate to the guidelines set out by the Federal and State Government, and we are frequently updated to any changes applied by our industry affiliations with both the Master Plumbers and Master Builders Associations of Victoria.
Will I notice a difference when booking a Job?
When you call to book a job, the only difference you will notice is you will be asked a series of health-related questions to help manage your appointment.
These questions help us determine whether your fall into the category where you should be self-isolating for COVID-19.
Some of these questions are:
- Have you been in close contact with someone with COVID-19?
- Have you been told to isolate?
- Have you recently arrived back in Australia (last 14 days)?
- Have you, or anyone in the household tested positive for COVID-19, or are awaiting test results?
- Do you, or anyone living with you, have any flu-like symptoms, a fever, cough, or shortness of breath?
- Can you please maintain the recommended social distancing measures of 1.5m minimum during our visit?
If you answered YES to any of the above questions, then we will have to reschedule your job for a day when the quarantine period has lapsed.
Your Plumber will ask the same questions when they arrive at your home or business for their own safety and peace of mind.
Are there restrictions on the type of Pluming work I can get done?
The answer is NO. The restrictions imposed are not related to the type of plumbing jobs you require; they are all health-related restrictions.
Blocked drains in Melbourne still need to be unblocked, burst water pipes must be fixed and you still need hot water, so hot water services still need to be repaired and replaced.
An example that may lead to restrictions is if you require a job that needs multiple staff. As long as we can maintain social distancing requirements at all times whilst carrying out the plumbing work, then YES, we can do that as well.
Essendon Plumbing Services has actioned a COVID-19 safety plan, enabling our team to access the risk to the health and safety of themselves and the greater community during the COVID-19 health crisis.
What are some common plumbing jobs in Melbourne during COVID-19?
The number one job is to unblock a toilet caused by baby wipes being flushed down the drain, see our ‘What NOT to Flush Down Your Toilet During the COVID-19’. Drains are designed only to flush toilet paper and due to the recent shortage, people have been flushing everything from paper towels to tissues, causing toilets to block all over Melbourne.
Emergency plumbing in Melbourne doesn’t stop because of COVID19. Below is a list of other regular plumbing jobs we are doing daily.
- Hot Water System Replacement
- Unblocking Toilet Drains
- Leaking & Burst Pipe Repairs
- Gas Repairs
- Leaking Tap Repairs
- Unblocking Bathroom or Kitchen Drains
- Roof and Gutter Repairs
Will the plumber be wearing any personal protective equipment (PPE)?
The type of control measures required will depend on the level of risk, as well as the availability and suitability of controls. The use of PPE is required under certain circumstances and the type of PPE will be as follows, depending on each individual situation.
- Face Mask
- Safety Glasses
What are you doing to increase Hygiene Practices?
- Regularly cleaning of hands with soap and water (minimum 20 seconds) or an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
- Always washing hands with soap and water before eating and after visiting the toilet
- Covering our nose and mouth when coughing and sneezing, and disposing of used tissues immediately
- If a tissue is not on hand, cough or sneeze into their upper sleeve or elbow
- Regularly cleaning tools and equipment
- Regularly cleaning mobile phones after each use.
- Avoiding close contact with anyone with cold or flu-like symptoms
- Seeking advice from a health care professional if we are unwell, and staying away from the workplace and other public places
Can I pay in cash for my job?
To maintain a safe social distance, as recommended by the Government, we ask that you make payment via credit, so no physical exchange of money has to occur. If you can only pay with cash, we will be handling all transactions using gloves and practicing social distancing.
Thank you for your understanding and ongoing support.
Please know that we have your best interests in mind during these uncertain times and we are endeavouring to continue to provide the amazing service Essendon Plumbing Services is known for.
We will do our utmost to ensure that all our customers and staff are kept healthy and safe.
Call us on 1300 231 976 for any plumbing problem during this time.