Blocked drains are never nice, and they seem to happen at the worst possible times, this is when you definitely want a reliable emergency plumber in Melbourne on speed dial. When blocked drains are acted on quickly (see blog 5 signs you have a blocked toilet) generally the process to clear the blocked drain is quite fast.
All plumbing fixtures in your home are connected to the same drainage system within your property. It doesn’t matter whether it's your kitchen sink, bathroom or toilet that’s blocked, at some point they all connect to the main property sewer drain.
As blockages can be caused by many different things a licensed plumber that is an expert in unblocking drains in Melbourne is what you need to determine where the blockage is, what’s causing the drain to block and how to unclog the drain.
Most blocked drains if caught early enough are quite quick to fix. On average a blockage or obstruction in the main sewer drain to your home will take approx. 1 hr to clear.
Cost To Unclog A Drain In Melbourne
- Minor clogged sewer drains to individual fixtures like toilets, baths, basins and sinks can often be cleared by plunging the drains and generally cost $143 to clear.
- A build-up of paper in the main sewer drain or a clogged boundary trap will require the use of a high-pressure water jet and a CCTV inspection on completion and generally cost $275 to clear.
- Removal of tree roots in the main sewer drain or a more stubborn blockage caused by a cracked pipe will require the use of a high-pressure water jet, Mechanical Sewer Machine (sewer snake) and CCTV inspection on completion and generally cost $385 to clear.
- Majority of clogged sewer drains including stubborn blockages generally can be cleared within 2 hrs at a cost $385.
- Minor blocked stormwater drains that require the use of a high-pressure water jet and a CCTV inspection on completion generally cost $275 to clear.
- Removal of tree roots in the stormwater drain or a more stubborn blockage caused by a cracked pipe will require the use of a high-pressure water jet, Mechanical Sewer Machine (sewer snake) and CCTV inspection on completion and generally cost $385 to clear.
Stubborn Blocked Drains
If a blocked drain sewer or stormwater is caused by more serious issues like a broken or collapsed drain, a drain that has moved due to ground movement or mass of tree roots then a section of the drain may need to be dug up and replaced. A licensed drain plumber will be able to determine the fault within 2 hrs and supply a fixed price quote to repair.
There are many variables that affect the cost of a below-ground drainage repair and no two jobs are the same, things plumbers need to consider are access for machinery, depth of pipe, location of pipe (is it below a landscaped area, beside a pool or under lawn) and type of pipe? for this reason, Essendon Plumbing Services will provide a FREE fixed price quotation to repair all below-ground drainage pipes that can’t be unclogged.
Prevention Is Better Than A Cure
Being mindful of what you wash down your drains is the best way to prevent blockages to your sewer and stormwater systems.
Cooking oils, fats, hair, foreign objects, food waste and paints are all items to avoid putting down your drains. Cooking oils and fats solidify in your drains causing fatbergs to form. Food scraps get caught on bends and junctions in your drains causing paper to build up behind it clogging your drains.
Knowing the signs that you have a blocked drain, and getting it seen to early is a key to keeping the cost down to unblocking your drains. See our post '5 Signs you have a blocked sewer'.
Call A Licensed Drain Plumber
If you require an expert Drainage Plumber to unblock your drains in Melbourne then call Essendon Plumbing Services, 24/7- 365 days of the year, we look forward to hearing from you. Click on our pricing page to see a full list of our fees and charges.