How will I know if I have a Gas Leak?
Natural Gas doesn’t have a smell so it’s a good that Utility providers add Mercaptan to the gas. This chemical, when mixed with natural gas, makes it smell a lot like sulphur (or rotten eggs), making it easier to detect when you have a gas leak in your Melbourne home.
You may sometimes hear a hissing noise, although natural gas pressure in homes across Melbourne is low (between 1.1KPA and 2.75 KPA), so depending on where the gas leak is you may not hear it.
Dead plants in the area of the leak may also be an indicator of a natural gas leak or an unusually high gas bill would be an obvious sign. In any case, you will need to call a licensed gas plumber to help solve the leak.
What to do if you think you have a Gas Leak?
- First thing to do is turn your gas supply off at the meter. Generally, this is located at the front corner of your home, usually on the blind side of your house.
- If you don’t know where your gas meter is or how to turn your gas off, call a licensed emergency plumber ASAP. They will be able to talk you through the process over the phone while attending your home within the hour.
- Open up the area to let air flow, open windows and doors where possible to let the gas escape and stay outside away from the leaking gas pipe.
- Call a Licensed plumber in gas to carry out leak detection on your home. Not all plumbers are licensed gas plumbers, so make sure your plumber is experienced in gas leak detection.
How do I prevent Gas Leaks from Occurring?
Majority of gas leaks are the result of either poor installation, gas fitting lines installed and not tested, old failed appliances, old corroded gas fitting lines, no regular checking or maintenance & incorrect appliance installations. This is why it is so important to only have your gas fitting work be carried out by a Licensed Gas Plumber. They are the only people who have the training and skills required to safely work on your gas appliances and gas lines, guaranteeing the safety of your household.
When a licensed gas plumber works on gas at your home, whether the job is $80 or $800 dollars, you will receive a Certificate of Compliance. This assures that the work has been carried out to Australian Standards and gives you the peace of mind with a 7-year workmanship guarantee.
What NOT to do If I Think I have a Gas Leak?
You may not be able to smell anything, and Gas leaks don’t always make a hissing sound but if you suspect you have a gas leak DO NOT ignore it! Gas leaks can cause major damage to life and your home if left to leak.
If you think you have a gas leak in your home, DO NOT do the following:
- Let It be and hope it goes away
- Use any naked flames in the area or any appliances that may cause a spark
- Turn lights or appliances on and off
- Attempt to locate and repair the leak yourself
Call an Emergency Gas Plumber NOW!
Gas leaks don’t just disappear, you may think the leak has gone because you can’t smell it, but it may just be blowing in a different direction. Don’t risk it, Call a licensed gas plumber at Essendon Plumbing Services NOW!