Essendon Plumbing Services has been repairing burst water pipes across Melbourne for over 30 years, so we’ve come to know the most common types and the best way to fix them.
Burst water pipes can cause serious damage to your home if left unnoticed or untreated.
The cost of repairing a burst pipe will vary according to the scenario we are confronted with. The time taken to repair the actual burst pipe is very similar, however the extra expense is always related to what we need to do to access the burst pipe, the time it takes and the repairs we need to do after (to your home or business).
Below are Five most common locations we find burst water pipes and the extra expense that could be involved in accessing and repairing each burst pipe.
- Burst water pipe in a wall
Extra Expense: Is the wall plaster or solid brick, is it tiled or painted, is it an internal or external wall?
- Burst water pipe in a ceiling
Extra Expense: Do we have access into the ceiling, is it a tiled roof or metal roof, pitched roof or flat roof?
- Burst water pipe under a floor
Extra Expense: Is there enough room under the floor to access the burst pipe, is there an access point to get under the house?
- Burst water pipe under a concrete slab
Extra Expense: Has the exact location of the burst pipe been found or do we need to use leak detection technology to locate the burst prior to saw cutting the concrete, is the concrete internal or external, is the slab on ground or suspended?
- Burst water pipe outside under garden or lawn area
Extra Expense: Do we have good access to dig it up, what damage will be done to the gardens and lawn when digging it up, can we use mini excavator or is it a hand dig?
To repair most burst pipes that are commonly found in homes across Melbourne, the cost would be between $150- $200 dollars. The time taken to locate the burst pipe and to repair any damage to the property would be additional to this. Your local plumbing professional should keep you abreast of all expenses while repairing your burst pipe so there are no big surprises at the end of the job.
What to do if you suspect you have a bust pipe or leaking pipe:
- Isolate your water supply by turning your mains water supply valve off.
- This valve is generally located at the water meter supplying your home or business.
- If your home or business is part of a body corporate there is usually a bank of water meters in an allocated area, so you’ll find your isolation valve there.
- Then contact Essendon Plumbing Services on 03 9335 4755 or book online.
We are centrally located in Melbourne so can immediately respond to your call to limit the damage that can be caused by a burst water pipe.